Saturday, March 27, 2010

Snail mail

Look what I found when I was trimming the fern! I have found many more since then.
"The brown garden snail (European brown snail) Helix (Cyptoomphalus) aspersa Müller, was described by O.F. Müller in 1774 from specimens collected in Italy. This plant feeder has been disseminated into many parts of the world intentionally as a food delicacy, accidentally by the movement of plants, and by hobbyists who collect snails. It was introduced to California in the 1850s as a source of escargot. (Capinera 2001). " via here
It's weird, I don't remember seeing them in our garden/yard in Pennsylvania, not sure if they are native to more Southern gardens?

I was lifting some leaves of a fern to trim it, and found the snail in the moist, shaded soil under the leaves.

Here and here is some info on what I think I found - the brown garden snail.

No comments:

Post a Comment