Friday, March 19, 2010

Sprinkle a little on top

I think it's appropriate that I named blog Sparkling Clover and I'm starting posting during St. Patrick's week.

I planted our first herb container garden. I'm hoping they grow! We use a lot of fresh herbs in our cooking and I would love it if they were "homemade."

I started with the sunniest place in our yard, because herbs need a lot of sun! Our backyard is bricked in, and right along the brick wall is where the sun lasts the longest.

I used two pots that were filled about halfway with Styrofoam peanuts. Filling the pots partway with peanuts keeps the container lightweight and easier to move later on. Also, it's a great way to use peanuts since they won't decompose for thousands of years.
Then I put some yard waste in the pot as filler. These were bunches of leaves that I had been cleaning out of my beds.
I covered that with Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Soil. Although I love that is was organic, it happened to be the only kind that Kroger was selling.

Next it was time to plant the seeds!
I sprinkled the seeds on a layer on top of the soil, then I layered some more soil on top with my Young Avenue Deli cup.
The one thing I'm a little worried about is I may have provided TOO much drainage. I'm afraid that the soil may dry out because there is such a thin layer of it. I'm going to need to be diligent about watering.

Hopefully I'm start seeing some little sprouts soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment